Thursday, November 21, 2013

HUNGARIAN BEAN AND HAM SOUP

I was so pleased to find in SAVEUR magazine, a recipe that I remember from my childhood. My mother made this soup based on a recipe that my father's mother used to make. I never knew my maternal grandmother because she died shortly after I was born. However, I have always heard from everyone what a wonderful cook she was.

Enjoy this soup on a chilly evening, and when you do, think of all the wonderful ethnic cooks you grew up with!

CSULKOS BABLEVES (Hungarian Bean and Ham Soup)

 Serves 8-10.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup canola oil
5 cloves garlic, , minced
1  medium carrot, minced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 small parsnip, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1 lb. dried pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 bay leaves
1 large smoked ham hock
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika, plus more for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 c sour cream

INSTRUCTIONS:
 1.  Heat half of  the oil in a 6 quart sauce pan over medium-high. Add  garlic, carrot, onion, parsnip, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 7-9 minutes. Add beans, bay leaves, ham hock, and 12 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook partially covered, until beans are very tender, about 2 hours.

2.Transfer ham hock to a cutting board and let cool, then discard skin and bone. Shred meat and stir into soup. Using dry paper towels, blot the soup to remove surface fat.  Heat remaining oil in a 2-quart sauce pan over medium heat.  Whisk in sour cream.  Stir mixture into soup and cook, until slightly thickened, 4-6 minutes more. Ladle soup into serving bowls; garnish with more paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment